Wow. I cannot believe it is already almost halfway through February! That leaves only 2.5 months to train!
Week 1 of Training (last week) went by in a blur.
Mondays are rest days, which means I get to sleep in until 6:30, work all day then enjoy my evening at home.
Tuesday was my first day swimming which I blogged about. Last Tuesday I went to Golden Gateway Swim and Tennis Club. Since I belong to the Bay Club, I was able to also join Golden Gateway for a small additional monthly fee. I realized at GG that I was probably the only person there who hadn't swam in oh, 15 years. I was very overwhelmed and intimidated. I definitely felt like I was in this thing over my head and over my athletic ability.
Wednesday was our first team run workout. We met at Sports Basement in the Presidio and had a gear clinic explaining all the different things we would need for training in the tri as well as race day needs. We followed up the gear clinic with a short run in the dark. That was an adventure!
First Team Run! Look how excited I was!
I skipped the workout on Thursday, as I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to push it too hard too early. This also gave me time to mentally prepare myself for swimming on Friday, which I have to say WENT AWESOME!
Last Friday's swim went so much better than Tuesdays. I felt much more comfortable at USF and have since decided that I will be doing my swim training there. Especially since I can still shower at home! I didn't make it through the entire set that we were given, but I felt a lot better about my swimming, especially once I figured out that if I just slowed down (like in running) I could swim a lot farther and a lot longer than if I just swam as fast as I could to the other end just to get the distance in.
The first team workout weekend was fun! I am sure this will change as the workouts get longer and the weather isn't 70 degrees in February.
Saturday was our Captain's run. We started across the street from my house (Woo hoo!) and did a quick warm up followed by a twenty minute run. It's OK to laugh. I still laugh at the 20 minute runs. It's silly, but as we do the workouts I realize why it's important to start this slow.
Sunday was a bike clinic followed by a short ride from Chrissy fields to the Legion of Honor. Let's just say that Sunday was my come to Jesus day. I have spent the past few months talking about how biking will be my strong sport out of the three, as I have spent the past year doing various cycling events and rides. But holy moly, Sunday's ride gave me a huge reality check. Climbing to the Legion of Honor by Lands End made me realize how not in bike shape I am anymore. It also had me trying to figure out a flatter route back to Sports Basement doing everything I could to avoid Baker Beach Hill. However, after we determined that the best way back was up Baker Beach Hill, I sucked it up and started the return ride back. And guess what, I made it up the hill without stopping. Just another reminder how events like biking are totally mental and that reminding yourself that you can do it is the best way up that hill.
Monday of course was another off day and I spent it re cooperating from the Superbowl party the day before.
Tuesday I went swimming again. I am getting more and more comfortable in the water, which is translating to feeling better about trying to complete the prescribed sets for the training week. I also feel better about swimming pool etiquette and how to split lanes and circle swim with others.
Last night (Wednesday) was our first track workout at Kezar Stadium. I was extremely freaked out about what it was going to entail. I have horrible memories of conditioning practices for soccer at Kezar and I was hoping to avoid the breakdowns regarding running bleachers and suicide drills. However, it was much more pleasant than that. We did a quick 10 minute warm up, then got underway with the training. The goal was to get in as many laps as you could in 12 minutes (aka the Cooper test we used to run every Monday at soccer practice). For the first time, I got in 4.25 laps, which is just a quarter of the track farther than a mile. I was really happy, since I know that I am about a 12-min mile runner on the treadmill, so I was pleased that I could pace myself to the same speed when running on a track. Without an ipod. Which is going to be my biggest challenge/habit to break. After our 12-min drill was a cool down followed by a core workout. I am seriously going to have a six-pack by May 1. (OK maybe not, but a girl can dream about a six-pack and a 10-min mile.)
This morning I switched up the training days and went swimming again so I could swim with a friend. I am starting to actually enjoy swimming. It is still hard, but I can tell that I am making more and more progress as I spend more time in the water. Which is good, since I am going to have to swim a lot farther than a pool length in 2.5 months.
That's in for now. Just taking everything slow and steady. Have a wonderful day!

No comments:
Post a Comment